Thursday, February 3, 2011

whatever curry soup

So, my friend Emma is a person who if she invites you over and the invite involves food, you drop whatever you are doing and you go. No exceptions.
Well the other day we had a curry lunch date, it was good, way good.
I got her recipe, and tweaked it cause I'm lazy.
I call it "whatever curry soup" cause you really can add or take away whatever.
what you need:
  • 3 or 4 medium potatoes, peeled roughly and chopped into chunks
  • 1 medium onion, chunked
  • 4 carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks
  • 1 apple, peeled and chopped into....wait for it.....chunks
  • Had I had sweet potato, I would have added a couple too
Dump it all into a big pot
Stir in enough olive oil to lightly coat veggies (couple tablespoons is enough probably)
Saute the veggies until a little soft, and onions are a little translucent

then add:
  • Enough water in to cover the veggies, or us veggie/chicken stock instead (then omit the bullion).
  • 3 or 4 bullion cubes (preferably veggie, or chicken)
  • 4 tsp curry, I used the whitey mcwhitey generic brand at the grocery store, if you are awesome like Emma, you use real curry from a legitimate specialty food store.
  • Salt and pepper, although I might wait to add this until the end to start taste-testing it to get it right.
then you:
Let this boil until everything is soft, but not mushy k?
Dump TWO cans of coconut milk in there. You could do one, but why?
Let simmer for a bout ten minutes,
Taste test, and add more curry, salt and pepper to your liking.

If you wanted to add chicken, it would be good. Tofu would be rock'n too. Really just make it your own. And like all my recipes, everything is approximate.

Serve over rice, and enjoy.
And it does taste better in a jack-o-lantern mug. Just say'n.
And don't thank me, thank Emma.

No comments: